Depending on the field, you may need to update multiple records with the same value or option. While going into each individual record and manually changing the field is an option, the process can be long and tedious.
For this reason, for select fields, a mass updating tool is available to those with proper permissions.
Fields for individuals that can be changed in this way include Baptism date, Confirmation date, Ethnic Group, Grade, Household, Sex, and any custom Person fields. Household fields available for mass updates are restricted to Send Newsletter and any custom Household fields.
Changes applied to fields cannot be reversed, so caution is recommended.
To use the bulk update feature,
- Go to the People view in either Individuals or Households mode. This utility is not available on other modes.
- Choose those records you are looking to change, either by checking boxes next to each name or filtering using Smart Groups, traits, or tags. If filtering you will want to click the topmost checkbox to select all visible records.
- Once your selected records have been checked, a black bar will appear at the bottom of the screen. Click the button that's labeled "Bulk Update".
- A pop-up window will appear with the rest of the screen greyed out behind it. Choose the field to change and what you want to change the field date, text, or option to.
- Click "Continue" and enter the number of records chosen to confirm the change.